Tuesday, July 19, 2005

Family Business

I got a call from my mother saying that my sister, Star, has been diagnosed with breast cancer - at only 36 years of age. A mammogram revealed a tumor approximately the size of an orange located in her right breast. The cancer has advanced to the point where the only real option now is a mastectomy - removing the affected breast - and possibly followup chemotherapy.

She goes into the hospital tomorrow morning for the mastectomy.

Update


7/18/05, 10:45am
I just got off the phone with my dad. She went into surgery at 8am, and is still in surgery. Dad's going to call me when she gets out and let me know what the doctor has said.

Update II


7/18/05, 11:20am
Dad called. Star's out of surgery. They got as much of the cancer as they could, but it has spread to the lymph nodes. It's too soon to tell the prognosis, but she's definitely going to need chemotherapy.

Update III


7/19/05, 9:52am
Just got off the phone with Dad. Star had a really bad night last night. She started bleeding, and they had to give her several units of blood to replace what she lost. She's doing better today, but, chances are, they're not going to discharge her as originally planned.

Powered by Blogger

Get Firefox!

Get Thunderbird

Listed on BlogShares

Who Links Here